Friday, December 11, 2009

Artist Statement

As you scroll down through my subjects of art you will find many interesting works that I have done throughout the year. From the simple things like leading lines and fill in flash, to the much more complicated and artistic projects in creating vampires and defining a social issue that I feel is important. You will find that Photoshop is a program that gives you the unlimited ability to do as you please to any picture you can find.

I feel that my portfolio has a very strong vibe. I feel that if you were to look through it, you would notice that even though there is a lot of artwork with a girl as the point of emphasis, the portfolio still has the masculine vibe and you could still tell that a guy is the artist of the work you see before you.

I learned so many tricks over the course of this semester. Compositional tricks such as, leading lines, fill in flash, macro, rule of thirds, extreme angles and simplicity. I’ve learned that it’s not always necessary to use Photoshop to try to beef up every single picture. Sometimes its better to just use the compositional tricks and the picture would come out better than you imagined. In opposition, I have learned a lot of Photoshop tricks as well. Tricks like cropping, dodge and burn, layers blending, layer masks, magnetic lasso and regular lasso, the magic wand, downloading brushes, and the list goes on and on. With practice and time, I could become a master in the use of Photoshop.

I feel that I was most successful with the drawing with light composition. I feel that it is my best work all year. The reason why I feel this way is because drawing with light is generally used to tell a story and this picture does that perfectly. If you look at the facial expression she has, and the background, and how the light reflects on her face, you could see the anger and pain that she is feeling. You get the feeling of being locked down and all you can do is look out of a window as the sun begins to set. That was the exact goal of this picture and I feel that was accomplished that very well.

I had the most trouble with the rule of thirds project. I just couldn’t seem to find a picture creative enough to show what I wanted to show, or to tell the story that I wanted to tell. This leads to my next point. I feel that I need to improve my creativity. A lack of creativity could be very stressful and it could limit the definition of your pictures. It also limits the quality and quantity of each picture that you take. This has happened in a few of my pictures.

I have seen improvement in my use of Photoshop. I began not knowing a single thing about Photoshop. But I developed a firm knowledge of lots of tricks that can be done in Photoshop.

I feel that all of my artwork took a true effort. Although some photos came out better than others, each photo had 100 percent of my commitment that was needed. I used to take snapshots whenever I took a picture….now I’m taking actual photos like an actual photographer.

1 comment:

Miss Cook said...

Tae, Your portfolio looks excellent. I really enjoy your artwork, your opinions and your effort. It is easy for me to see the hardwork you put into each of your projects. I see you taking things you have learned and using them to make your next project better. Keep up the brilliant work!